Saturday, February 14, 2015

Thoughts on the Derby and Wednesday, and Some Personal News

If anyone's paid any attention to my Twitter account recently, you'll have seen a period of inactivity in the past week. That is because I have moved this past weekend, and it took that long to get the Internet in. So, without further ado, here are my thoughts on the two games Everton played this week, plus my belated thoughts on US-Chile. (I forgot about the US-Panama game on Sunday.)

US-Chile

I thought we played very well against Chile, considering most of our players weren't yet match fit, and we were facing a team from the Chilean Premier League, who were match fit after playing 4 league games. As much as I can say well done, I feel that we could have won that game. I remember our defense playing poorly, making too many mental mistakes, even for not being match fit.

Merseyside Derby

Every derby, no matter the fixture list, fixture congestion, injuries, etc., I expect, nay, demand that Everton win, no matter the circumstances. (I'm sure Jon Townsend would say the same thing on the other side.) For me, in this game, anything less than a win is unacceptable, and to say that we couldn't even get a goal past a converted midfielder who played CB is beyond me, no matter how good Can is at that role. We can't blame the referee here, we can only blame ourselves for this 0-0 draw that feels like  loss.

Everton-Chelsea

All through that game, I was screaming at my television. Lee Dixon was right when he pointed out that Everton showed no purpose in possession. while playing like Barcelona is ideal most of the time, if you can't win playing that style, then it's time for a change. Now, let me talk about the uncalled handball on Naismith for a few minutes. I wasn't on Twitter, so I didn't see the reaction to the non-call, but from where I was watching the game, and the replays shown on the TV, that was a handball as it touched his upper arm. The game should have finished worse than 1-0, maybe 2-0 or 2-1, depending on how you feel about Lukaku's shot that got saved by Cech's legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment